Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- 2 10-ounce packages frozen cut broccoli
- 2 cups frozen whole small onions or 1-2 coarsely chopped onions, boiled in water until tender (optional)
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup milk
- 1 3-ounce package cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I use cheddar; you can use American or your favorite cheese)
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs tossed with 2 tablespoons melted margarine
In a medium saucepan, over low heat, melt the margarine or butter. Blend in the flour, salt and pepper. Add the milk, all at once, and mix well. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens and bubbles. Reduce the heat to low and add the cream cheese; mix until smooth.
Pour the sauce over the vegetables and mix gently. Top with the shredded cheese and then sprinkle the bread crumbs on top.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 45 minutes. Serves 6.