How often do you clean your coffee maker? C'mon, admit it. If the answer isn't at least every 2-3 months, you should read on to learn that it's actually a pretty easy task and really just a lot of rinsing and repeating. It's also key to keeping your cups of joe brewing smoothly. Follow these seven simple steps on how to clean a coffee maker.
Time Required: 60 minutes
What You Need:
1. Remove and dispose of any used coffee filters from the filter basket.
2. Add vinegar to the coffee maker's water reservoir until a 1/4 full. Fill the rest of the reservoir with water until full.
3. Run the coffee maker.
4. Turn off the coffee maker and let it cool for 10 minutes.
5. Run the vinegar and water mixture through the coffee maker again. Let cool another 10 minutes.
6. Run only water through the coffee maker, let cool 10 minutes, and repeat once more. If the vinegar odor is still present after two rinses, continue to run water through the coffee maker.
7. Hand-wash the carafe and filter basket in soapy water. You can also wash the carafe in the dishwasher.